GUITAR BRIDGE - FIXED AND FLOATING
Floyd Rose is a bridge that I loved at first sight, but I can't deny the drawbacks to using this type of guitar bridge.
A bridge that floats only when needed would be useful, without ever losing the tuning of the guitar.
After years of thinking and sketching, I have designed two bridges:
- Three Positions Guitar Bridge (floating to lower the tuning, fixed in the central position, floating to raise the tuning)
- Floating Bridge (Floyd Rose like) SelfLocking (normal or lowered variant)
Three Positions Bridge
It is a fixed bridge only in the central position, which, therefore, becomes floating if you use the lever, allowing you to lower the tuning (Dive Bomb) or raise it.
- It is used like a Floyd Rose, to increase or decrease the tuning
- Allows bending without detuning guitar (based on spring pull)
- You can change the strings like on a fixed bridge, so it is much more easy
- If a string breaks, it does not lose its tuning (based on the pull of the springs)
- Increased Sustain, as for a fixed bridge
- It has no levers or mechanical locking systems
- The setup of the springs, within a certain threshold, is used to adjust the force to be applied to the lever, not to balance it, therefore the setup requires less precision.
- It has the limitation of not being able to float around the central position.
- Based on the pull of the springs, it can be harder than a Floyd Rose
Here are some pictures (without springs), only of the external part. The real innovation is inside the excavation of the guitar, but for obvious reasons I will not show it:
SELFLOCKING FLOATING GUITAR BRIDGE
Floyd Rose Like
It is a bridge similar to the Floyd Rose which, however, locks, becoming fixed, with the use of the lever.
- Has the feel of a Floyd Rose (Not valid for the lowered variant)
- It can be locked instantly without having to retune the guitar
- Easy change of strings
- More Sustain when locked
- The lowered variant loses a little the feel of the Floyd Rose, but allows greater tuning variations, and can be locked in a simpler and safer way than the normal one.
- It requires precision in design and manufacturing, therefore higher costs.
Here are some pictures (without springs), always only of the external part. In this case, the innovation is inside the body of the bridge:
Here are some pictures of the lowered variant. The innovation is inside the body of the bridge too:
The project requires tests, calibrations and refinements that I cannot carry out alone.
If anyone is interested, I'm willing to share the patent revenue.
See you soon.